Bring back home all the hostages
חזרה לעמוד הקודם

2023-2024 Israel Internet Index Report by ISOC-IL

The Israel Internet Association (ISOC-IL) has released its annual internet report for 2023-2024. By integrating survey data, traffic measurements, and real-time analysis from multiple platforms, ISOC-IL’s Internet Index Report provides valuable insights into trends and shifts in technological advancements, market dynamics, user behavior, and the pressing challenges related to online safety in Israel.

Below is a selection of highlights from the report. For the complete Hebrew-language report, including detailed statistics and links to the full datasets, visit the Hebrew Internet Index page.

Internet Infrastructure

ISOC-IL survey data reveal a significant shift towards fiber-optic broadband, with usage increasing from 35% in early 2023 to 45% in early 2024. Meanwhile, ADSL usage has decreased from 25% to 18%. These findings highlight the growing demand for faster and more reliable internet connections.

Our analysis of traffic measurements from APNIC combined with ISOC-IL 2024 survey data  reflects the current distribution of market share among ISPs. Four major telecommunication companies (Bezeq, Cellcom, Partner and HOTnet) dominate the consumer ISP market,  accounting for 81% of internet traffic, with the remaining 19% of traffic distributed among smaller providers.

Domain Registration and Trends

The end of 2023 saw over 287,000 domains registered under the .il ccTLD (country code top-level domain) and over 22,600 under the .ישראל ccTLD, with 93.7% of .il domain names using the second-level domain “.co.il” and most of the remaining 6.3% using “org.il”. Most Israeli sites support SSL encryption, and the number of DNSSEC-signed sites continues to rise, underscoring a commitment to online security. Israel’s ccTLDs boast a relatively high percentage of sites that lead to active content compared to other ccTLDs, and 90% of active .il websites contain Hebrew-language content.

The events of October 7th and the subsequent conflict visibly influenced domain registration patterns, with a surge in social initiatives, donation platforms, and emergency services. These trends highlight the remarkable responsiveness and resilience of Israeli society during times of crisis.

See more registry and domain-related statistics here.

Social Media and Online Platform Penetration

Since 2021, ISOC-IL has been monitoring social media and online service usage in Israeli society. Using representative surveys, we analyzed data segmented by various demographic variables. Some key insights from the latest report:

YouTube and WhatsApp Dominance: Both platforms lead with 98% usage among the adult population, showing slight increases from last year.
Facebook’s Decline: Usage among adults dropped to 87% from 90% last year.
Telegram’s Growth: Significant increase from 54% at the beginning of 2023 to 70% in early 2024, with notable popularity across various age brackets.
TikTok’s Rise: Usage among adults increased from 49% to 54%, with the highest growth among young adults aged 18-22, from 71% to 80%.
The report also highlights distinct usage patterns within the Arab community and provides a comprehensive overview of how different segments of Israeli society interact with digital platforms. For more detailed findings and data: Social Media and Digital Platform Use in Israel (2024).

Online Safety and Digital Divide

The report highlights significant trends in internet safety and demographic disparities in Israel. Over the course of 2023, the ISOC-IL Internet Safety Hotline received 3,503 calls (a 5% annual increase), with approximately 60% of the reported incidents occurring on Meta platforms and 8.4% of reports coming from the Arab population. Callers reported various forms of online abuse, including phishing and hacking attempts, personal harassment, incitement and hate speech, among others. Over the course of 2023, more than 70% of those surveyed encountered cursing, insults, bullying or public shaming online. The Israel-Hamas war exacerbated online abuse experienced by Israelis, doubling the number of monthly reports due to increased instances of graphic content, support for terror, and misinformation.

The report also zooms in on the senior citizen population, revealing their heightened vulnerability in the digital space. 44% of seniors surveyed experienced fraud attempts via email or SMS, underscoring the need for the promotion of digital safety measures and increased digital literacy across all demographics. For more details on ISOC-IL’s work to bridge the digital divide across various population segments, visit: ISOC-IL: Bridging Israel’s Digital Divide.

The above is just a glimpse of the extensive studies and analyses conducted by the Israel Internet Association over the course of 2023. The full data, sources and methodology can be accessed in the full-length Hebrew-language report. ISOC-IL’s research endeavors help produce a thorough, nuanced and informative picture of the local internet landscape, informing decision-making processes in the private, public and governmental sectors in Israel.